“Good vibes happen on the tides.”
The Andaman Archipelago lies in the Bay of Bengal far away from the Indian mainland. It consists of more than 300 islands but most of them are not open to the public. The Andaman’s have a lot to offer but with limited leaves available, our itinerary puts together some of the best places to visit in a week.
BEST TIME TO VISIT:
With temperatures not too high and lesser number of tourists due to exam time, February – March is the best time to visit Andamans. Avoid visiting the islands during the months of June – September and December as the monsoons play spoiler to your plans. October is also a good time to visit.
THE ITINERARY AND GUIDE:
Day 1: Catch the late night flight to Chennai and then a morning flight to Port Blair. Visit the iconic Cellular Jail and live the story of the freedom fighters imprisoned there as told in the light and sound show. Pay a night visit to Corbyn’s Cove beach.
Day 3: Take a morning ferry to Havelock island and reach by noon. Scuba dive and swim with the tropical colorful fishes around GovindNagar Beach. Visit the Kala Pathar beach in the evening. Spend the night in a beach hut.
Day 4: Board the government bus to the spectacular Radhanagar Beach and trek along to Elephant Beach. Catch the noon ferry to Neil Island. Observe the beautiful sunset at Laxmanpur Beach. Try the delicious seafood cooked from the fresh catch of the day.
Day 5: Watch the sunrise at Sitapur Beach. Get up close with the marine life at the stunning Natural Bridge before noon when the tide is low. Relax along the white sand of Bharatpur Beach. Catch the evening ferry to Port Blair.
Day 7: Learn about the human settlement in Andamans and the origin of tribes in the Anthropological Museum. Visit the Samudrika Marine Museum. Catch the return flight to Chennai.
Cost-Saving Tips and Guide : The 7 day Andaman trip cost us about 26000 INR per person (inclusive of flights from Bengaluru and all the water activities).
- Public transport is not often available. Take the autos or a taxi to travel within the towns. Bargain for reduced fares.
- Take the island tickets for Ross and North Bay directly from the government counters. The travel booking shops along the road are likely to overcharge.
- Book the inter-island ferries in advance, preferably the government ferries. Government ferries are cheaper and get sold out very quick. Nevertheless, some private ferries are available.
- Stay at beach huts on Havelock island as they are cheaper and give access to the beautiful beach.
- Scuba Diving is widely available in Havelock Island. Some places may overcharge you. So look to book after consulting more than one centre.
Contacts for reference:
- Mr. Kariappa: Vehicle to roam around Port Blair and Vehicle for Baratang Island. Ph:+91-9434260968
- Sandhya Residency: Nice, Affordable stay in Port Blair. Ph:+91-9932080906
- OnlineAndaman.com: Online private ferry booking in advance and scuba diving booking. Ph:+91-9832475079
- Ocean Tribe Resort: Comfortable Eco huts stay at budget rates. Ph:+ 91-9474240746